Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Operations Manager is responsible for the overall production activities of the plant, with emphasis on safe operation, attentiveness to quality, on-time delivery, and operational efficiency. The Operations Manager will regularly review performance in these areas, develop plans to improve, and execute upon the plans.
The role of the Operations Manager will consist of, but not be limited to the following:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the Operations team, including but not limited, to Team Leaders, On-Site Coordinators and Logistics. Ensure team member direction and goals are specific, relevant, and aligned with goals, vision, mission, and values of the plant and company.
- Drive environmental, health, and safety ownership throughout the plant from the Team Leads to the front-line employees. Ensure critical EHS initiatives are completed, and that policies and procedures are adhered to. Work with Plant Manager and EHS Manager in leading and driving Safety teams and incident reviews.
- Ensure accountability for quality output to ensure that we continue to maintain the high standards our customers expect in terms of a product and service that is right first time and delivered in a timely manner.
- Assist in the regular review of production capacity levels, cycle times, material flow, and manpower levels. Work with the Plant Manager to identify and plan for production and resource adjustments based on this analysis as well as the plant calendar (public holidays, vacations, customer shutdowns etc)
- Work with the Plant Manager to identify and justify capital expenditures that will drive improved production efficiency in the areas of EHS, quality, and productivity.
- Work with the Plant Manager in the hiring of plant operations staff.
- Create a collaborative environment utilizing input from all team members to produce positive results. Mentor and develop direct reports. Actively participate with, encourage, and lead all members to improved levels of work ethic, morale, and productivity while meeting or achieving internal and external customer expectations.
- Continuously Improve visual management for Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory Productivity and key process indicators (KPIs).
- Assist in the development of budgets and manage activities to accomplish financial objectives
- Lead Continuous Improvement & Lean Manufacturing efforts and participate in the Gemba team to assure positive culture. Assure deployment, training, and utilization of tools are aligned with the strategic vision of the Company.
- In conjunction with Senior Management and associated Managers, assist with the development and formulation of short- and long-range plans, policies, programs, operating procedures, and objectives.
- Coordinate and direct major projects (e.g., acquisition and installation of capital equipment, major repairs, plant layout changes) to the best scheduling and economic advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field of study with 5+ years’ industry experience as a leader in a manufacturing/production environment. An advanced degree such as an MBA is desirable but not essential.
- SAP knowledge and experience is desirable.
- Excellent PC and organisational skills. Ability to produce/interpret/analyse/present reports and presentations.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Highly analytical with excellent problem-solving ability.
- Must have the ability to interact at all levels within the company and also with external Auditors/Clients/Customers.
- Highly flexible approach.
- Strong leadership skills, proven ability to meet targets and achieve results while acting with integrity at all times
- Strong ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Ability to drive change.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Holds a full current Diving license.
- Ability to travel on occasion when required both within Europe and the U.S.A
- Lean & Six Sigma experience would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of calibration, metrology and quality system auditing would be beneficial