The Product Engineer is responsible for providing the required technical support to the production team to deliver a high quality, competitive and profitable product.
1. Product Compliance
- Provide adequate work instructions by way of Routers & Operations sheets to ensure requirements are specified.
- Review of ESM and RD documents to identify and implement the changes that affect product in accordance with Company Review procedures.
- Audit the repair process for compliance with the specified procedures.
2. Product Quality
- Promote application of best practices to deliver robust processes in repair of products.
- Establish and Implement the CTQ metrics to determine / control process stability.
- Define the daily, weekly, monthly TPM checks with Maintenance.
- Lead investigation of process problems, taking corrective action where deviation occurs.
- Investigate and issue written reports on non-conformances relating to the product quality.
3. Process Improvements (Product Cost / Profitability)
- Identify and investigate opportunities for product repair cost improvements to achieve agreed & external approvals for process improvement changes.
- Measure and monitor Rework costs and reasons, working with the Team to achieve target reductions.
- Measure and monitor Scrap quantities and reasons, working with the team to minimise the scrap rates.
- Define specifications for new equipment purchase / modifications and sign off on qualification / acceptance.
- Implement Process Improvements and monitor successful achievement of proposed savings.
4. TAT Reduction
- Identify and investigate opportunities for TAT Reductions to achieve agreed TAT targets
- Implement and monitor success of TAT improvement initiatives, working closely with other team members.
5. Technical Support Liaison
- Issue Inspection Reports to Customers
- Provide technical support to Team members, i.e. dispositioning of parts
- Provide technical support to Commercial, i.e. definition of work scopes
- Provide Technical Support to Quality, i.e. investigation of warranty returns
- Provide Technical Support to Production, i.e. procurement of equipment, support to Maintenance
6. Other duties as directed by the Engineering Manager.
- Release Certificates for completed product
- Timely processing of Repair Documentation changes – target Zero overdues
- Product Quality – target warranty returns < 0.5%
- Timely investigation and issuance of Customer Warranty Reports – target Zero overdues
- Timely processing of Non Conformances / Corrective Actions – target Zero overdues
- Monthly Reporting of Product Scrap Rates & Top 5 Reasons
- Monthly reporting of Rework Costs & Top 5 Reasons
- Monthly reporting of progress on improvement activities:
i. to reduce product cost against target cost – target product cost
ii. to reduce Process TAT against target – target Process TAT
iii. others, i.e. scrap rate reduction
Qualifications / Skills
- Degree in Production, Materials or Mechanical Engineering.
- Ability to understand complex processes involving multiple disciplines
- Strong analytical / problem solving skills
- Disciplined structure approach to defining / qualifying process stability
- Knowledge of material science relating to materials & processes used as an advantage
- Competent communication & report writing skills
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a production / process engineering role
- Problem solving experience in complex environment
- Project Management experience an advantage
- Results orientated and ability to work on own initiative
- Availability to provide technical support outside normal hours.